I’ve been trying to think up some good, summery Christmas salad ideas and one of the first thoughts that came to mind a was Caprese salad. This salad basically consists of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil and olive oil – perfect Christmas colours and it always feels like such a treat too! Even though the roast capsicum is not an authentic ingredient, I thought it would be fun to make some little red stars from it in order to add even more festivity to the dish! (as it’s a bit tricky to make these from tomato)
- 1 large ball of fresh buffalo milk mozzarella
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 large red capsicum
- A small bunch of fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- (You'll also need a small star shaped biscuit cutter)
- For the roast the capsicum stars-
- Place whole capsicum in 190C (375F) oven, turning occasionally, until skin begins darkened and blister (about 30-40mins).
- Once cooked, place capsicum in heatproof bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for 10mins (this helps to loosen the skin).
- Peel and deseed capsicum. Flatten out the flesh onto a chopping board and cutout some stars using the biscuit cutter.
- To arrange the salad-
- Cut the mozzrealla and tomato in even sized slices and arrange them on a platter in overlapping rows.
- Decorate using the stars and basil leaves and then finish of with a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Serves 2
What are some of your favourite salad ideas for Christmas?